PPG today announced that it showcased eco-friendly and high-performance coating products and technologies for a variety of markets at the China Coatings Show. The 2020 show was held at the Shanghai New International Expo Center, Sept. 2-4.
“We can take pride in knowing that our industry and our paints, coatings and specialty materials play an essential role in a wide range of important markets,” said Michael McGarry, PPG chairman and CEO and board chairman of the American Coatings Association (ACA), who participated in the show’s opening ceremony virtually. “As protection of the environment continues to be a high priority, PPG is fully committed to driving innovation to deliver a wide range of low-VOC products. These include waterborne and powder coatings that are prevalent in China.”
With the theme of “In China, for China”, PPG used various multimedia channels at the show to introduce its green products and innovative technologies that are designed for a variety of industries, including construction, consumer products and transportation. The company also offered live demonstrations using virtual reality, which enabled participants to get a first-hand understanding of product attributes and benefits.
PPG was recognized with three awards presented by the China National Coatings Industry Association, including the China Coatings Industry Advanced COVID-19 Prevention and Control Model; China Coatings Industry Excellent Enterprise; and Low VOC Coatings Promotion Model Enterprise.
Highlighted products and technologies at the PPG booth (# W1081) included:
- Aerospace coatings: PPG DESOTHANE CA 9000 basecoat/clearcoat system, PPG AEROCRON electrocoat and PPG Desothane CA7870 anti-static coating are widely used in aircrafts exteriors, structures and special areas. All have qualifications from original equipment manufacturers, providing aircrafts with continuous structural protection and a durable appearance.
- Architectural coatings: MASTER’S MARK ECO TOUCH interior latex coatings by PPG can kill 99.99% of E. coli and Klebsiella and 99.93% of H1N1. SEIGNEURIE 2 in 1 flat paint primer by PPG helps boost painting efficiency and obtain a granite effect.
- Automotive coatings: PPG’s B1:B2 Compact Paint System can improve coating properties and automotive appearance while reducing volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions.
- Automotive refinish: Featuring PPG’s innovative micro-gel anti-settle technology, PPG AQUABASE Plus and PPG ENVIROBASE High Performance waterborne basecoat paint systems are engineered to reduce VOCs and deliver an accurate color formula, excellent hiding power and long-term durability.
- Industrial coatings: PPG ENVIROCRON EXTREME PROTECTION EDGE powder coating requires no primer to achieve or surpass edge protection provided by two-coat powder systems. It is available in a low-cure version, leading to cost savings, a reduction in energy consumption and improved efficiency.
- Packaging coatings: As an eco-friendly solution, PPG INNOVEL non-BPA packaging coatings meet domestic and international food contact materials standards.
- Protective and marine coatings: PPG PITT-CHAR NX is the next-generation flexible epoxy intumescent coating system that is designed for the most severe hydrocarbon hazards, including pool fires, jet fires and explosion. The system substantially reduces both the thickness and weight of a passive fire protection (PFP) coating, allowing for lower cost and significantly faster application. PPG SIGMAGLIDE 1290 silicone-based fouling release coatings offer superior anti-fouling performance that reduces speed loss, improves power and minimizes environmental impact.
In addition, Jens Brackebusch, PPG general manager, packaging coatings, Asia Pacific, and PPG director, strategic planning and corporate development, Asia Pacific, delivered a speech titled “Increasing Sustainability in the Coatings Space,” discussing PPG’s sustainability practices and progress.
Hosted by the China National Coatings Industry Association, the China Coatings Show is one of the most influential exhibitions in the coatings industry. Under the theme “Side by Side with Green Manufacturing,” the 2020 show featured more than 300 exhibitors that specialize in coatings, coating auxiliary agent products and coating equipment. During the show, PPG also participated in number of forums joined by many downstream enterprises from real estate, rail transit, infrastructure, marine and petrochemical industries.